What to do
- Please arrive at the time your surgeon asks you to be at the hospital.
- Please leave all valuables at home with the exception of the following: glasses, hearing aids, and dentures.
- A parent or legal guardian must accompany a minor. Please bring proof of guardianship papers or Medical Durable Power of Attorney papers.
- The hospital staff will involve you in the preparation for surgery. They will ask your name, the kind of surgery you are having and the site of your surgery (left or right). This identification procedure may occur repeatedly. Do not be alarmed, this is a patient safety standard used in hospital settings.
- Room assignments are made according to patient age, procedure, availability or expected needs of the patient.
- Family and friends are welcome, but space is limited. 2 visitors are allowed in the patient room. Other visitors must stay in the waiting room.
While Waiting for Surgery
- Delays may occur in the operating room schedule due to an emergency or an unforeseen event. We will make every attempt to keep you informed. You may want to bring a book to occupy you while you are waiting.
- Before surgery you may be taken to a holding area for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Family members will be instructed where to wait. Please ask them to remain in this area. The doctor will visit with the family following surgery.
In the Operating Room
- The operating room area temperature is kept cool; please ask for a warm blanket if you are uncomfortable.
- A safety strap will be placed across your body.
- All members of the team will identify you and your procedure before they begin.
- Your privacy and respect are of utmost importance to all of us.
- Someone will be with you at all times.
NEXT SECTION: What to do after surgery >>