Sleep Hygiene Tips
Recommendations to get a better night’s rest
- Establish a regular bedtime routine. A warm bath, light snack, or a few minutes of reading or listening to music can initiate good sleep.
- Create a positive sleep environment by limiting light in the room and keeping a cool, comfortable temperature.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking and caffeine at least a few hours before bedtime.
- Do not go to sleep unless you are sleepy.
- Avoid eating heavy meals before bedtime.
While in Bed:
- Turn your clock around in order to hide the numbers.
- If you’re unable to fall asleep in 20 minutes, get out of bed to read a book or do a relaxing activity. Return only to bed when sleepy.
- Do not use your computer in bed.
- Do not read, eat, watch TV, talk on the phone or play board games in bed.
In the Morning and During the Day:
- Wake up the same time every morning, even on weekends.
- Avoid naps during the day.
- Exercise regularly, but avoid strenuous exercise within six hours of your bedtime.
- Try to keep a regular sleep/wake schedule.